Monday, August 10, 2009

Sorry it has been so long since I’ve written a good blog! I’ve been busy checking the children in all of our projects. Mostly at Good Hope feeding scheme, which is another way of saying feeding program, I guess. This is a village project run by a woman and her husband, Mama Bongiwe. They feed over 90 children each week, one meal a day after school. Mercy Medicine brings supplies when needed and looks after the health of the children. Once weekly on Fridays the children have a bible based program which is taught by Mama Thule, Mama Bongiwe also holds services each Sunday in the small “church” building. These children are either orphaned or abandoned and from poverty stricken homes.

Here’s a picture of Mama Bongiwe, that’s not her baby, she looks after this baby while the baby’s mom is in school. Whenever we go there they say to Janice and I “Here’s your baby”, because one of us is always holding her while we are there! Here’s a picture of me checking one of the children, his name is Doctor, which I didn’t realize until they handed me his assessment sheet, and I thought people were calling him Doctor as a nickname!
There’s another boy named Surprise at this project, and a girl named “Pretty”!! I think that’s very cheeky to name your kid Pretty, especially if she ends up growing up to be ugly!! So far I’ve checked almost 100 children. This week we are going to Good Hope a few extra times so I can finish assessing all of them, and then I will have the 2 churches to finish and Msokwaba, which I’ve told you a little about already! The goal is to have a baseline assessment for Janice to build on once she gets the mobile clinic, and also to kind of know what sort of health problems she will be dealing with, and what kinds of treatments she can have on board.
On Saturday we went to Moholoholo nature reserve which is basically an animal rescue program and I got to pet a cheetah! Janice and I were in line together so I didn’t get a picture of either of us petting it, but here’s a pic of some random South Africans petting it!
Here’s a pic of a baby rhino too, he can’t poop, poor thing. It’s a very cool place and you can look it up online, the founder spoke to us, and it was really cool to see the animals that close! When the team comes we are going to take them there, and I’m already looking forward to it! Make sure to scroll down, there’s another blog under this one! I'll be adding pics tomorrow when I have a better internet connection, for now you'll just have to use your imagination : )

3 comments:

  1. Michelle Bissell.....you rock. Your blog is gonna be my favorite online reading activity for the rest of my life!!! take care and I am praying for you!!! One day I hope to see you again, until then, I shall run on fond memories of SteetLife w/ Judith Dayspring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't the rhino poop? Can they fix him? Poor thing!

    You are awesome for all you are doing!
    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have to ask....just why is it that the baby rhino can't poop? Your're a nurse can't you fix it?? haha

    Pastor Hiiim

    ReplyDelete