Monday, September 28, 2009

My 16 year old pregnant girl

This is "my 16 year old pregnant girl" I love her. This girl is such a sweetie, she doesn't really speak any English, but she stole my heart. She told me through a translator that she didn't know who the father was, and later on it came out that her mother was making her go out and sell herself, and then taking all her money.

Ugh...it makes me so sad. So, I gave her a supply of prenatal vitamins, but what I really want to give her is a sense of self worth. She has such a servant's heart, she doesn't go to school, but she helps Mama Bonkiwe (of the clau clau feeding scheme) with preparing food, and then she helps serve the food in the afternoons, she gets a little money from that, but her mother takes it all : ( It makes me mad, and it makes me really really sad.

My heart is especially tender towards pregnant people, I love the miracle of birth, and so many times in depressed areas the women and children are the ones who get neglected. Part of what I would like to do in the future is to train health advocates in prenatal care, and childbirth. Right now, though, at this very moment, I wish that I could take this girl home with me and spoil her, and let her know how special and lovely she is. I wish I could sit next to her again and tangibly remind her that she is beautiful and worthy of love, that she deserves more.

1 comment:

  1. I am certain that you touched this girl's life. Your smile alone made her feel better. Your undivided attention to her needs made her feel special. You are so good!!!
    ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete