Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lies


My natural instinct at times is to lie. My kindness, optimism, and general hopefulness can sometimes get in the way of the cold hard truth. There are times where lying is preferable, and I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise, such as when a large patient gets stuck on the commode, I will lie and say that this particular model is small, and lots of people get stuck in it.

Other times while lying may be more comfortable, it is also harmful. When a patient asks if they are going to get better and I know for sure they are not, or when a family member wants to know how long their loved one has to live. When people ask how God could allow this to happen to them. When they ask me if something is going to hurt, if they will have to dramatically change their lifestyle because of this illness. There could be the easy answer, that God has a plan for them, or that it will only hurt for a minute, but not only is that dishonest, these types of pat answers are trite, and diminish the scope of suffering.

How could I say to a child orphaned by AIDS that God has a plan which involved you not having a mother, in effect, God did this to you so that He could carry out some cosmic plan? How could I say to the patient that had to have their bowel removed and now must carry around their poop in a bag outside their bodies that their lifestyle will not dramatically change, that this will not in some way define them for the rest of their life?

I don't know what I believe about God and suffering, and in the long run I don't think it matters as long as I am trying to diminish that suffering no matter who caused it. That's the thing, though, its so much easier to give a pat answer to lie and say it will all be ok. People die, children die, mothers and fathers die, every single day, every day that I go to work I confront suffering. There are times when even the most happy meds I have in my arsenal will not diminish your pain, and you will be crying out saying that you would rather die than experience this for one more second.

There are times when the circumstances of your life are so ridiculous that the thought of God somehow orchestrating them is incredibly disheartening. Those are the times when words cannot help you, those are the times when I would like to lie and leave you clinging to false hope.

Instead I am silent, when I can only hold your hand, and the only words that mean anything, the only thing I can say that is not a lie is "I don't know why this is happening, but I will stay here, I will walk with you through this, if its happening to you its happening to me." I am trying to live a life of compassion, and most of the time its so hard, because being compassionate is not just words, its being there at those times when no action can be taken, its taking suffering upon yourself. I fail more than I succeed, and all I can do is keep trying to be there, alleviate suffering where I can, but where that is not possible, to just to be there, and hope that it is enough.

2 comments:

  1. That's some good reading- it will definately make us all think...amen sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you do! :)
    People are so fortunate to have you to depend on! You haven't failed because you haven't given up. You keep on giving and hoping for the rest of us. You are awesome!
    <3

    ReplyDelete